Day 1 Morning Agenda
8:30-9:00 AM – Welcome & Preliminaries
9:00-9:45 AM – An 10K foot introduction to multi-agent systems
- Start downloading or copying NetLogo to your Desktop
- Online here, or on your USB Drives (Resources/Software/Windows/NetLogo)
- We’ll watch a few videos – and you’ll write basic/amend rules of the agents
- We’ll post lecture slides and content here (after the session)
9:45-10:00 AM – Breaktime
- Get up, move around, socialize, chat, it’s your free time!
10:00 – 11:00AM – Play & Learn from the Ants Model
- If installation of NetLogo didn’t work (for whatever reason) go to the online version of the model!
- Basic: Add a new food source (need a hint? Having problems?, Giving Up? )
- Advanced: Add starvation / death to model
- You’ll need to add a variable to the “ant” to keep track of “hunger level” (Hint)
- You’ll need to increment (add too) that variable some constant each time the ant doesn’t find food:
set foo foo + ??
- You’ll need to decrement (remove from) that variable some constant each time the ant finds food:
set foo foo - ??(or simply reset it to zero?
set foo 0)
- You’ll need to perform some action if that variable reaches some threshold (die)
- Need real, guided, help? Tutorial #3 from NetLogo UserManual should give you enough to bridge the gap (direct link without sidebar)
11:00 – 11:15 AM – Sync, Debrief, Preparing for The Afternoon
- Pain points
- What’s working/What’s not
Day 1 Afternoon Agenda
1:30-2:00 PM : Model & Resource Exploration
- Looking at built-in models
- Freely available resources
2:00 – 2:30 PM : Tutorial on NetLogo Models
2:30 – 3:00 PM : Adding Switches, Sliders and Graphs to Models Practice!
3:00 – 3:15 PM : Break Time
- It’s still your time – so get up, move around, socialize, chat!
3:15 – 3:45 PM : Tutorial on Control Structures: Conditionals
3:45 – 4:15 PM : Adding and Tracking a Variable Practice!
4:15 – 4:30 PM : Sync, Debrief, Preparing for Tomorrow
netlogo, outreach, professional development, programming, technology